One of the few photos of the two of us !
Seventy years ago my father in law had landed on this very beach on June 6th 1944. He was once of the first troops to land at Juno beach. It was very emotional, thinking about what he had gone through on that harrowing day and also realising that there was a huge part of his life that he never actually told us about. Both Andrew and I thought it was very important that we took the kids. They both understood the whole thing, which was good. They appreciated what those men had done especially when we visited the cemetery at Bayeux.
The place where we stayed was lovely, very modern and very French. Close to Gold beach and Arromanches. Got to say though eating out in France has really got very expensive over the last twelve months !
Ellie looked really grown up and I'm not going to mention the French shoes that she brought back. She is about 6 foot when she wears them ! We will have to take a trailer for next summer when we go.
It was a really positive experience - even though I'm not going to mention anything about bridges. Andrew gets very excited and shouts - they do know how to build a good bridge. But £6 to cross one of the most scariest bridges of my life was not my idea of fun. I do have a major phobia about crossing bridges over water, but those we crossed this week where like no other. On the way back to the tunnel I actually worked out a route with no bridges and it actually only took us 20 mins longer, than on the way down.
It was a really positive experience - even though I'm not going to mention anything about bridges. Andrew gets very excited and shouts - they do know how to build a good bridge. But £6 to cross one of the most scariest bridges of my life was not my idea of fun. I do have a major phobia about crossing bridges over water, but those we crossed this week where like no other. On the way back to the tunnel I actually worked out a route with no bridges and it actually only took us 20 mins longer, than on the way down.
The Bayeux tapestry really was worth going to see and really must have been something when it was first made.
We found a lovely hotel on the way back and enjoyed a pint or two. We wont even mention the traffic on the M6.
1 comment:
Gorgeous photos, sounds like you had a great time, cant wait to see the LO's
Post a Comment